Reading and Thinking Blog 25
Sorapure, Madeleine, Pamela Inglesby, and George Yatchisin. "Web Literacy: Challenges and Opportunities for Research in a New Medium." Computers in the Composition Classroom. Eds. Michelle Sidler, Richard Morris, and Elizabeth Overman Smith. Boston: Bedford / St. Martin’s, 2008. 326-332. Print.
Electronic Representation:
ERIC Citation
Comments:
Sorapure et al. introduce yet another facet of literacy involving the ability to discern credible web sources. The internet is a complex entity that requires many levels of literacy including those mentioned in this article as well as the ability to constructively use and navigate the pertinent technology. Students must have a wealth of knowledge to effectively navigate the web for research purposes.
Sorapure et al. accurately state that there is no practical way to identify and categorize all credible sources on the web. This is due to the sheer volume of information presented on the internet, the speed with which new information is added, and different sources are credible for varied projects. The strategies presented by Sorapure et al. suggest using visual cues such as high quality images and links to other resources to evaluate the credibility of a web source. I feel as though these are basic and effective strategies. However, websites are increasingly easy to construct, making these methods less effective. In my internet research, I feel as though I have to not only understand the technology and the rhetoric of the website, but I must also have significant foundational knowledge in the topic as well if I am evaluating a source that is not peer reviewed. Students will have an increasingly difficult time discerning between credible and non-credible sources as time progresses.
No comments:
Post a Comment