So, who am I?
I wear many hats, as most of us do. In real-life, I am a stay-at-home mom, a consultant, and a student. My family is my greatest pride and joy and I spend as much time with them as possible. However, I need my time to nerd out. So, here I am at ODU in the third year of my doctoral work. I am somewhat of an outsider as I earned my Master's degree in molecular and systems neuro and cardiovascular physiology. Before this program, I did not attend an English class since the 11th grade. I made this seemingly random transition because I am a scientific writer. As a consultant, I write grants, manuscripts, contracts, white papers and more for people across all scientific disciplines, both academic and corporate. This career revealed significant problems in cross-disciplinary communication between my clients. Therefore, I am here to learn about and research methods to improve interdisciplinary communication among scientific disciplines. English 665 is an excellent opportunity to gain new skills in different technologies that may assist in this endeavor, both pedagogically as well as functionally.
Now, let me introduce you to my family! I hope you enjoy the following video.
Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.
Hi, Laura. Wow, I hope to learn a lot from you this semester. I don't have a scientific background whatsoever, but, last semester, I taught an introductory course to scientific and technical writing, which mostly focused on writing research reports and proposals in the hard sciences. I'm not sure how much my students benefited from taking this course with me :/, but teaching the class introduced me to an entirely different realm of writing. Anyway, your family is beautiful! I have a wee daughter, too. Looking forward to working with you. ~ Sarah
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to your critical commentary on Brain Rules!
ReplyDelete