Teaching Philosophy for Clients from Science-based Academia and Industry
Grant writing is a challenging and often necessary endeavor in current academic and professional environments. As an instructor in grant writing, I draw upon my past education, work, funding experience, and my continued learning to design and enrich each workshop. I am a classically trained physiologist, with five years of experience in basic research labs. This is where I initially learned the significance and challenges of grant writing. Five additional years focusing on grant writing, mediating collaborations, workshop instruction, and graduate coursework in professional writing broadened my funding expertise and developed a specific workshop style.
Transference and applicability: Grant writing is a time intensive task that is often done in addition to a full work-load. Realizing the time constraints felt by employees, I value effective and efficient transference of knowledge over all else. Therefore, my grant writing workshops focus on transferability of skills by combining a lecture, discussion, and hands-on work using the clients’ own grants. The combination of my expertise, overt instruction, and situated learning promotes effective acquisition and transference of skills by allowing clients to learn within a community of practice (New London Group; Lave and Wenger). The overt instruction covers topics such as locating grant opportunities, common and disciplinary techniques required for writing and development, and technological concerns for successful submission. This knowledge is then immediately put into practice using the client’s own work, allowing employees to actively learn, reinforce knowledge, improve current or future grants, and maximize time-management.
Collaboration: The development of most grants depends on successful collaboration and communication between members. In my experience, communication barriers can be the primary cause for a failed submission. Therefore, I highly value the skills required to effectively collaborate and therefore incorporate them into my workshops. Clients learn and practice problem-solving, different communication, personal and technological strategies to improve their own collaborations through discussion and the hands-on portion of the workshop.
Accessibility: I realize that grant writing is a long process and is learned through the act of doing. The workshop provides a strong foundational knowledge, however additional questions, concerns, or need for input will arise. Therefore, I believe in continued support for as long as necessary. Clients can access my support through email communication, in-house or on-line meetings, or follow-up focused workshops during normal business hours.
Assessment: The grant writing workshop is an evolving entity as it must keep abreast of the constant changes in funding environments, the economy, and academic and industry needs. Therefore, I value assessment as it allows me to continually improve my instructional design. I assess learning by observing the transformation of grant drafts through the writing process, successful submission, and funding rate. I assess efficacy and relevancy through client feedback, acquired by a post-workshop and subsequent post-grant submission questionnaire.
My teaching philosophy is based off multiple values including transferability, collaboration, accessibility, and improvement, all of which are in place to best serve my clients. I am a colleague, not a teacher and it is my goal to share as much of my experience and expertise with the clients as possible. Therefore, I strive to be approachable, informative, and efficient so that my clients can successfully develop, submit, and win grants.
References
Lave, Jean and Etienne Wenger. Situated Learning: Legitimate Peripheral Participation. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 1991. Print.
The New London Group. “A Pedagogy of Multiliteracies: Designing Social Futures.” Multiliteracies: Literacy Learning and the Design of Social Futures. Ed. Bill Cope and Mary Kalantzis. New York: Routledge, 2000. 9-37. Print.
Hi Laura!
ReplyDelete•I really liked the fact that you support your authority as a grant writing teacher by backing up your claims with your educational experiences and time in the classroom
•I'd like to see more about which theorists you align with, specifically
•You absolutely provided adequate details to support your claims. It's clear that you have a lot of authority on this matter!
•In an audiovisual text, it would be great to see actual pictoral representations of a grant writing classroom. I've never seen one, so I'd love to see how it works!
Good job!
-- Betsy Long
Hey Laura,
ReplyDeleteI liked that you explained that you use the client's own grants in the workshops to support the idea of transferability. I also liked your continued availability for your clients. I was wondering if the grants are approached differently by different organizations and how you address that aspect of transferability (I guess meaning that they can see how it applies to the grant they're currently working on, but are they also shown where to go and how to go about doing a grant for different organizations)? This may just be my own ignorance of grant workshops, but I would assume that those coming to you haven't been to one before either. As far as technological presentation goes, maybe having a visual representation of each of your main values (transferability, collaboration, accessibility and improvement) with a voice over that explains the connection between them and your workshops. Another possibility would be to create a mindmap that connects all the ideas since they seem to focus on a combination of over teaching and hands on and then do a voice over examining the core of your philosophy.
Hope that helps.
Trina
I liked the grant writing perspective. I am not savy on grant writing so it is interesting to learn about it. I was wondering how you would teach this in a class lesson, which approach would you take with a struggling student, or what made you choose this method and how would you ensure that it was effective in the classroom setting. The paper is organized well and it is informational.
ReplyDelete